SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Your story is very common; one lones sailing, the other is happy to come along, may even enjoy helping sometimes or with some things, but does not expect to be crew or to be involved continuously.

a. You'll be happier with a boat you can single hand, even if she does grow to like it, as the reality of couples cruising is that there will be single-handed days. Anything up to the mid-30s is reasonable and roomy enough.

b. 22 feet sounds like a great starting size and a great day sailing size. If you cruise farther or if the local waters are very rough, you may move up a bit. But 22 feet is a fun size where you can really feel the elements and learn. Bigger boats are about systems and planning more than sailing, IMHO.

c. I've had 3 catamarans. The first was an 18' rocket and was too much for many non-sailors. 15 feet can be a bit small for couples unless the waters are very sheltered. My second was a 27' rocket (perhaps the same wieght as most 22' monos) that was OK for nonsailors if I kept it calm. We could cruise and daysail in moderate conditions. My third is a heavy 32' cat and suits everyone, but it is BORING when the wind is below 15 knots and for daysailing. Great for 1-3 persone cruising. For day sailing, I really wish I still had the other 2 boats--more fun. So, yeah, I think a 22' boat is a valid starting place.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook