SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Sailing alone??

I would say that size as in length is less of an issue than weight. I solo a 42 foot, 11 ton Catalina in the open ocean. I have crossed the Atlantic in it solo. I happen to be physically tall - 6' 6" to be precise - so the head room in the 42 is a blessing. It requires a bit of physical strength to handle a boat that size so it is not for everyone.

The biggest constraint when single handing, presuming you have the right sized winches so that you can crank in a strong wind, is getting into a dock by yourself in strong winds - say 20 knots or more. Without someone on the dock to help you it takes quite a bit of experience not to crash the boat. But if you do it enough you can get comfortable with even that. That said, there are conditions when I would dock with a crew but will anchor or heave to rather than try to approach a dock.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook