SailNet Community - View Single Post - Race rating (TMF, TCF) for Farr IMS 40.7
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Race rating (TMF, TCF) for Farr IMS 40.7

Sun,

You last post is not the high, low ave. That figure is for "Time on Time" phrf figuring vs "Time on Distance" figuring.

The High, low, ave I refered to, as does the paper from US Sailing, is literally that, the highest/fastest base rating for a given boat, lowest/slowest base rating, and the ave of the 3 or more boats that need to be rated over the last 5 yrs with in the multiple area's that USS has jurisdiction in the US and Canada IIRC. This shows the variance among the different areas and how they might use the ability to have local conditions.

S Cal for example, uses three different base ratings for boats, one if doing buoy's, another if doing what will be longer races of 3-4 hrs or more by less than 24, another of doing ocean races. This allows them to hopefully handicap boats that have say running ability's at a faster time on the ocean of a race like the transpac is run, where as if that boat does not point or reach as well, allow for the slowness of those points, vs a boat that is somewhat rounded in ALL points of sail but slower in the run part.

In your case, You boat the fastest rated boat is a 9, slowest a 15, ave for all boats is 12. My boat for an example is 159, 191 and 171. Puget sound here in Wa it is 189, BC where shock is, the boat is 192, so I am a bit surprised the slowest rated is 191, unless I forgot that the BC boat is rated at 191. We also for boats rated slower than about 70 or so, artificially lower the base that is supposed to be used by 10%. This is shown to be a better way of comparing the fastest boats to the slower ones when doing overall scoring due to our weather and race conditions. Most races a windward/leeward in winds under 10 knots. So the ToT scoring is recommended the first formula, along with factors have been posted at the PHRF-NW site as such for ToT scoring.

Marty