SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
I realize this is a very basic and maybe even dumb question, but bear with me here. Can you use the GPS feature on the iphone and iPad when no carrier signal is available? Is it still accurate? Is there any software available similar to navionics and such that can be used on a mac laptop? I gave up working with Windows when I threw it out the window a long time ago. What are my choices now to join the civilized sailing world?
Common question, so fret not. First, you must have a 3G capable iPad to have an internal GPS. That confuses people. It is just how they package the unit, with the two together. You do not need cell coverage, nor do you even need to sign up for the 3G service for the GPS receiver to work. If you do have a cell signal, the ipad will have a general idea where you are on the planet, which makes acquiring the appropriate GPS satellites faster, but once you have them, you're as good as any device.

If you do not have a 3G capable iPad, you can get either a plug-in gps receiver or Bluetooth receiver for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook