SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to tell how thick the fog is...
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: How to tell how thick the fog is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Right now I'm reading SailNet and listening to the sound of fog horns from ships. In our area we often get morning, or all-day fog, especially in july-october.

I've had times where I can see a wall of fog, and I wonder what my visibility will be after I sail into it. Once I sail into it, I continue to be able to see a mile. I sail on and my visibility remains a mile.I've had other times where I've sailed into a wall of fog and my visibility was 1/8 mile and stayed that way.

Is there any way to tell what your visibility will be once you sail into "that fog bank over there"? Will it be 1 mile once your in it or pea soup?

MedSailor
You might want to try looking at the top edge of the fog bank as you approach it. You can see in the way the sky color/whiteness changes how much thickness of fog there is at different angles into the fog there. (I've never tried that, but when in the fog, I do look at the sky color straight up - and up at an angle - to determine the height of the fog bank. This as more for flying than for sailling.)

Regards,
Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook