SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I hope that your charter boat business is a limited business, that would not be subject to a liability suit associated with an incident with the sloop. I understand that the US is a fairly litigious society.
I would have to have my head so far up my ass to hit another boat I could see what I had for breakfast. It's not even in the realm of possability's. In close quarters I'm moviing so slow I could fend off with a finger, out of the harbour I don't come withinn 1000's of yards of other boat's. On a dive charter of a few hours no one is napping. You obviously have never done a solo sailing passage because it's not covered in colregs on how to do it. Maybe one day the law's and underwritters will get together and offer coverage and an option for a day signal communicating your status and you can try it. You have to be self sufficiant and resourcefull, a skilled navigator, decision maker and able to handle anything the universe throw's ya, and it can be scary if you are used to having six people and an insurance company making sure if you make a mistake your covered, but rewarding in so many way's.