SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Lol Jack, I too, am one of those “yachties” with over 10,000 NM in the log book. Interesting question, why do we “yachties” maintain log books and professional watch officers don’t? I maintain mine so I can prove my bonifides to insurance companies and race committees and such. I guess the “pros” don’t have to do that. Kind of gives you pause…

Sadly, dealing with insurance is a fact of life for this “yachtie”. Perhaps I don’t run in the right circles but pretty much everyone I know who has a boat worth north of $100k has insurance. Maybe I need to hang out more with the likes of Larry or Phillipe Kahn more, but I suspect that they insure their million dollar toys too. Hey, if you can walk away from your boat and responsibilities in an accident, by all means go bare. But I for one, maintain insurance.

Back when I was younger, I could go without sleep for long periods. After I hit 40 not so much. Heck, I’m embarrassed to say this, but I’ve actually fallen asleep while helming and that was on a boat with no autohelm or self steering! The good news is I rarely singlehand anymore, because unlike some folks, fellow sailors actually want to ship with me. I am happy to share the experience of off shore sailing with my fellow mariners.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook