SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I want a sailboat not a submarine

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Wannafish 
#1 ·
Two years ago I bought a 1979 Chrysler C-26 sailboat. It was in some disrepair and I took to completely refitting it. I am now 0-2 in successful outings. Both times I have taken on water. The last time the salon flooded apparently from the aft berth hold (where there is a small bilge). The water seems to have entered through the keel trunk, (It has a swing keel). I am very frustrated now. The hull and everything else looks strong and in great overall condition. Any suggestions on what to do next?

#2 ·
I haven't looked at a Chrysler 26 specifically, but am familiar with swing keel boats generally.

Check the mechanism that raises and lowers the centerboard. The cable goes through a hole in the bottom of the boat. There might be a hose attached to the through-hull fitting. There are two ways water can get through there.

1) If the hose is loose or rotted, water could come through the hole in the hose. This requires either tightening the hose clamps or replacing the hose. The boat probably has to be out of the water to replace the hose. This should be checked right away, because it could open a big hole in the bottom of the boat, with all the attendant consequences.

2) When you put the engine in reverse, often the prop wash causes water to blow up through that hose, creating a momentary geyser into the boat. If that's the problem, cover the top of the tube in some way to prevent water from coming out. Some people have stuffed a sponge in the top of the tube. To see if this is the problem, have someone watch the tube while you back the boat down hard. This won't cause the boat to sink. It'll just be an annoyance until you plug the hose.

Those are the more likely causes. If it's not that, then you need to start checking all the through hull fittings and valves for leaks, as well as any hoses attached to them.

#4 ·
Irwin,
Good to hear from you. How was the cruise?
It appears from your current location of Wilson NY that it was successfull.
Please update us with all the details.

(Sorry, this post has nothing at all to do with the original post)

#5 ·
Cool, another Arizona sailor with a Chrysler. I have a 1980 26 also swing keel. Sailormon's suggestions sound like a good start, but you also might want to check the through hull that the sink drains to, it is pretty high in relation to the waterline but may also be a source of your trouble when heeling. Do you have the inboard version?, if so check your shaft for leakage. On my boat there are not many through hulls, but you may have some for depthsounder or knotmeter.

Good luck
Jason

#7 ·
Ok, sailnetters. I have to say it. This is a perfect example of what the Dog and others are talking about.
The Original post is over 1 year old and the Original Poster made two post back in November of '06.

Sorry to break it to you deerenick, but this guy is probably long gone and your not going to hear back from him.
And............. welcome to the club.

#9 ·
Ok, sailnetters. I have to say it. This is a perfect example of what the Dog and others are talking about.
The Original post is over 1 year old and the Original Poster made two post back in November of '06.

Sorry to break it to you deerenick, but this guy is probably long gone and your not going to hear back from him.
And............. welcome to the club.
That, or he is sitting there waiting for an answer so he can go out again...:D

#8 ·
LOL.. thanks TJK... :)

Deerenick-

Recommend you read this post to help you get the most out of your time on sailnet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.