SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stockton, Ca. to Oakland, Ca.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stockton, Ca. to Oakland, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nop View Post
We usually stay overnight in Benicia and have dinner at the Benicia Yacht Club.

You'll want to be careful passing Port Chicago. If there's a military vessel in port when you go by, the Coast Guard will enforce an exclusion zone which will run you aground if you're not careful. (I wasn't careful the first time through.)

Awhile back While passing Port Chicago, they were loading a ship and the security police in their little power boats with 50s on the front came over and ordered me to move to the outer channel... my reply to them , over the radio was to come aboard themselves and take command of my boat, and they could be responsible for running aground as I draw 8,6.. they ordered me again and again I told them to take charge of my vessel..
it was then that an older gentlemans voice came on the radio and said, just hold your course and pass throu..
remember you dont have to follow there commands if it will put you or your boat in harms way.. be polite and ask them to take charge..

I've had the same issue while traveling south just out of Channel Islands marina area past the military base.. was told over the radio that I was in a restricted area and to leave. just asked for a "most direct heading" out of the area and they gave it to me without any questions asked..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook