SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I would tend to agree.

What I do not understand is why sail boat rigging has a life span according to riggers. All other rigging lifting equipment (like cranes, hoist, and rigging equipment used by construction contractors) does not have a useful life span. Its life is determined by visual inspection of the equipment and cables, splices and compression fittings. Contractors do not throw rigging equipment away due to age, it is disposed of when a certain amount of broken strands or cracks in the crimp coponents is visible. We do not restrand the golded gate bridge after a certain time frame, it is only done after visual inspection shows we have a problem.
Is it true that cranes, hoists etc use regular steel. If so the difference may be that stainless behaves differently.

Another difference is on boats we use the swage fittings that can hide flaws that can't be inspected.

Another difference might be getting a regular saltwater bath.

I would also be interested in the engineering safety factors used. Is it higher on the crane?

Last edited by davidpm; 09-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook