SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

I guess that in summary:

- It depends. Is the boat in fresh water or salt water? How often is it used? How hard is it sailed? Are extremes of temperature a problem? To take extreme examples, carefully coiled rigging stored somewhere in a dry warehouse for 35 years would probably be safe...if used in offshore racing, 5 years could be too much!

- I think also we are talking probabilities. After 15 years of typical use, the percentage failure rate is low. At 20 years, probability of failure is higher, at 25 higher still, etc. As Clint would say, "Do you feel lucky"?

- How do you intend to use the boat? If you are daysailing in light winds, you may decide the odds are in your favor. If you are crossing the Atlantic, that may change your risk tolerance. (If I was going offshore, I would replace my chainplates and standing rigging without hesitation)

There's lots of good advice here; your rigging may be fine at that age, if just depends on your unique situation.

Last edited by paul323; 09-25-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook