SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Aaron

I also like single handing. I often have to show instructor candidates how to single hand, so I have to keep that skill up to snuff. The best way to learn something is to have to teach it to someone else.

I do occasionally for fun. I like to get out by myself occasionally as well; I just do not get to do that much.

I have called you none of that.

I have also calculated the risk. I will single hand when I am awake. Would I single hand back from Hawaii; after last summer the answer is no.

The OP asked a question. I give a more cogent opinion an hour ago.
No No indeed you did not accuse me of being a moron. And I am known to be a little crazy in certain circles, But when we, and I'll go ahead and speak for us, are told that " No, sleeping is not O.K., COLREGS specifically states........" we hear " You're a moron, the book does'nt say you can do that " so we argue our point for 4 and 1/2 day's or untill we go back to sea frustrated. As I said. I follow the law to a T , while opperating dangerous liquid cargo vessels, I'm on one now. I've been single handling the same little sloop off shore since I was a teenager, and the single handlers of yesterday we're my child hood heros,..Christ, I got Tanya Aidies autograph when she was in Key West a few years ago. I'm sure you can run your boat by your self Jack, and if in your oppinion we should'nt be doing solo crossings, I applaud your right to voice that oppinion. I'll be doing it 'till I'm too old to remember which boat is mine.