SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22's and trailer sailing generally
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22's and trailer sailing generally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Pete,

We trailer sail every weekend possible. It takes about 35 minutes to step and launch after you get used to doing it and it does give you the power to sail DUW at 70 knots. Ours is a Lancer 25 and is big enough for week long excursions for two. She is a bit heavier than you're suggesting though. Boat, gear and trailer are in the 5500 lbs range so we use our F150 to haul her. If you went with a water ballasted boat, you'd loose about 1000 lbs. If you're serious about this, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. He has lots of great info on trailering and sailoring. In the back, he provides quite a list of boats with sketches, photos, specs, pros and cons on them. It was suggest to me by James L Nelson, friend, sailing guru, swiller of fine brews and cheap beer . . . oh, and noted novelist with many books available at fine bookstores everywhere! Ask for him by name! (Shameless plug for you, Jim) Actually, Jim is a childhood friend, a real character and a good man.

Anyway . . . cheap advice and shameless canvasing aside, good luck with the new boat!

Don,

Biddeford, ME
Just got the book for my kindle app thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook