SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maine to Chesapeake Fall Passage
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Maine to Chesapeake Fall Passage

I agree the Cape Cod Canal.

We take this route up and back from the Chessie every year. It depends on how you wish to push it. Daylight hours are waning this time of year. We usualy go from the Patapsco ( Baltimore area up to at least Newport and Back in 3 weeks)

In order to do this I would insure your engine is in good condition as you will be motoring a lot. You probably want to maintain an average of 5 knots. * hours means you are averaging 40 miles per day. You may have to increase this as you come down the Jersey Coast though.

Your trip down Buzzards Bay and the LI Sound ( Race. Watch Hill, Plum Gut) as well as Hell Gate and the Delaware River should be timed with the tide at the choke points and the Delaware River,

Some routes we have taken include

Cape Cod Canal to Cuttyhunk -35 miles
Cuttyhunk to Port Judith- 28 miles or into the Sound to Stonington- 45 miles
Stonington to Old Saybrooke- 20 mile or Mattituk 33 miles
Old Sayebrooke /Mattituck to Port Jeff 40 miles or 32 miles / Northport or Port Washington.-

There are so many variations and stops on the LI Sound you could adjust according to weather or day length.

Look at the cureent charts for Hell Gate and ride down the East River to Atlantic Highlands.

From here it is trickly..only 3 easy inlets and 1 dangerous one but passable on the Jersey coast. All others I would not transit or attempt.

Atlantic Highlands to Manesquan- 40 miles
Manequan to Barnegat Inlet -32 miles
Barnegat Inlet to Atlantic City- 33 miles
Atlantic City to Cape May- 38 miles

Now you are set up for the Delaware River. You should leave 1 hour before dead low tide. Since I assume your 33 mast is less than 55 feet you can transit the Cape May Canal and head up to the C&D..42 miles. You will be able to shoot through the canal and maybe make the Sassafras River. 60 miles ( you will have at least a 2 knot current boast throughout.

Sassafras to Rock Hall- 28 miles
Rock Hall to Rhode River or Herrington Harbor 20 or 30 miles
Rhode or Herrington to Solomons Island 30 miles.

Hope this helps feel free to PM me. You will really have to watch the weather this time of uyears as the frons move trhough every 3 days or so. The Jersey Coast and Delaware Bay can be downright mean.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook