SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maine to Chesapeake Fall Passage
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Maine to Chesapeake Fall Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastsailing View Post
Thank you for the responses. I am trying to decide if should come down the coast or head straight from Camden to Cape Cod Canal in one hop.

Thanks!
I've done your first leg several times(Rockport as a matter of fact to CCC). You'll save quite a bit of time going straight through. The Gulf of Maine is quite a bit longer along the coast than the actual 120 or so NM compared to the rhumb line. It's not only the extra length, but the jogs in and out of suitable harbors.

Of 4 trips down, I've ended up in Ptown twice, due to conditions, but all four were made in 30+ hours or less. Wind on the nose in the Cape Cod Bay area is the worst problem we've encountered(almost every time). In can get nasty in that bay.

About 75% of miles down(going south) have been under power. Amazingly, our fastest trip was all under sail into a southerly breeze from very light to about 15 to 20, that nicely went more westerly for the last third.

We did the most miles on that trip(but only 3 tacks!), arrived in Onset(from Tenants Harbor) in about 24 hours(we hit the canal perfectly). I had my two college aged kids for crew(the best).

It's a great trip across the Gulf of Maine and I've made about half of them by myself. I look forward to more.

The shortest I can do if I break it up is; Onset or P-town to Isle of Shoals. I of S to Monhegan. Those are long "days"(14+ hrs?) that have been in light conditions mostly under power. Add Monhegan to Rockport, and you've burned most of 3 days.

If I shorten the days and hit places like Marblehead, Portland for instance, it becomes a 3 to 4 day trip. But this is fun if you have the time.

Good luck. Tom Young on Christmas in Rockport.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook