SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Injector Pump leaking
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012

ADwight is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel Injector Pump leaking

There was a degradation in performance. I knew air was being sucked in but could not find the source. I had replaced all fuel lines some 8 weeks previously and all was well, and then uneven revving up and down for some time and then sudden death. No restart. Found I had good fuel pressure up to the pump, but none after the pump. In removing injector lines I discovered number 3 fitting (don't know the proper term, but it was the 3rd fitting north that line was attached to) was loose, not screwed down tight. Vibrated loose, maybe? That's where air was being sucked in. Removed pump yesterday and today learned that of the four cylinders or four pumps that make up the pump, the two center ones are froze up. It's my understanding that if air or water gets in the
cylinder or shaft, the tolerances are so fine, that without the constant lubrication of the diesel fuel, the plunger will become scored and freeze up.
I learned today that I need to clean the housing thoroughly with an air compressor, like pressure wash it thoroughly to remove all grime, work in a dust and dirt- free room on a clean surface (like white freezer paper), remove the side panel and go in and see what I can find and then go from there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook