SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012

scotlark46 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to scotlark46
Re: Flare-guns and other alternatives (excluding guns) as weapons

I hate writing these things because I always think of things I should have said after I post. I like wasp spray because you can discharge a whole can of it in someones face,at a significant distance even into the wind. While I disagree with denverdon, it is not too much of a disagreement. As I remember a Super Soaker with ammonia is a ghetto weapon. I like the wasp spray because it is an innocuous spray can and can get thru any customs. "The wife is very allergic, we always carry it, see here is the EpiPen" What can they say?
The point I wanted to make is different. You can good vibe your way thru a whole series of confrontations. You should always try. Having a weapon that is not obviously a life threatening weapon is a good place to start. Smile and tell them they can't come aboard. Or they need to leave now and you will talk to them in their boat is a far better way to deal with a confrontation. These type of threads tend to spin off into way too much technology and not enough communication. Guess it's because we are guys.
Also, there is an old Texas beer hall trick. The guy is up front, loud and in your face. But he can be talked down. I'ts his girl that has the gun in her purse. She is going to end it if somebody doesn't calm down. On a boat, she is below, calling the cops. And who knows what she is going to come out with?
Having a plan is way better than not having a plan.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook