SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?

I agree with Tom.
I have designed boats with well laid out tapered bootstripes and I have done boats with just parallel line bootstrips. I don't think it matters. On mdern. contemprary looking designs the straight boot looks best.

What I do know is that if the boot is tapered with "spring" it makes it damn hard to use it as a reference for flotation measurements. Today I draw almost only straight line boots.

If you have a really traditional type boat, say like my old CT54 then a tapered boot with spring does look better but only slightly.

JonB:
The key with any bootstripe is to make sure that the vertical dimension is maintained, especially in the stern as the stripe goes under the counter. This means the actual stripe will have to get wider as it goes under the counter in order to maintain that constant vertical dimension. That can be tricky with tape. If the boot is a thin stripe this element is easier to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook