SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?

Rugger:
I think I just did.

Stripes on a hull can be critical. If you walk around a boat yard you are bound to see a poorly laid out bootstripe that dives down as it turns under the counter. The problem at the bow is not so noticable. But it is there. Once again, the vertical height must be maintained and that means the width of the strip must change. It must get wider as it approaches the transom. The exact amount it need to widen is controlled by the slope/deadrise of the section. If the boat has a very flat run the strip will need to be really wide. So a taped line cannot work. Unless the stripe is very thin and in most cases that would not look very good.

That said, if the stripe is high enough on the hull the topsides may be vertical enough so that you can get by with a tape width. But on a hull like, say amn Alberg 35 you MUST make the stripe wider as it wraps around the counter aft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 09-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook