Thread: Anchor light
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I saw a sailboat anchored in Fairlee Creek, a small, Chesapeake Bay tributary, that had eight, solar LED lawn lights around the rails. It was about a 40 footer and looked like it was it was lit up like a Christmas tree. Everyone from one end of the creek to the other could easily see the boat....
That wouldn't satisfy either the COLREGS or the Inland Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
...I don't know if the lights had sufficient battery power to remain lit all night long, mainly because I didn't roll out of the bunk until about 9 a.m..
I doubt they would be very bright by the wee hours of the night/morning. I have used several flavors of these little lawn lights at home, and none of them are very bright, if they're on at all, by 2 or 3 am.

I use an LED lantern, hanging in about the middle of the fore triangle. The one I use has four NiNH D-cells that last at least 20 hours. Having the anchor light in the fore triangle is a bit better, IMHO, than at the masthead in that it's far easier for the skipper of a boat tooling around or near an anchorage to spot it than it would be were it ~40 feet above the water. At 18 or 20 feet above the water the lantern is visible from much further away than the theoretical visibility of the lantern. The anchor light can have a small part of its arc obscured by the mast, and doesn't have to be at the tippy-top of the mast:

Quote:
Annex 1; section 9: All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 09-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook