SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Didn't work because after the upgrade worked, it re-synched and wrote over it. At the time, I read this was a problem. Perhaps they've fixed it.
I may very well be mistaken here as I don't have an iPad myself or have tried to do this with an iPad myself, but I believe it is doable. If you had sync'd the iPad to iTunes in the recent past prior to your update, there is a "copy" of the previous sync saved in iTunes with the date of the sync. That is how it works with the iPhone, which for all practical purposes has the same OS as the iPad.

I have done it with the phone in the following way. Go to the settings on the phone and find the place where to reset the phone to original settings. When you do that, it will erase everything. Obviously sync the phone prior to doing that to save everything. Once it is done, plug it onto the computer to do a sync and it will recognize the phone as "new". It will ask you if you want to use the last sync or if it is a new phone. You can pick the date of the last sync to sync it to, so then you choose a date prior to the upgrade. I am almost 100% sure that should work and there is nothing to loose so long as you sync it prior to messing with anything. Worst case you are going to loose 1-2 hr out of your life playing with it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook