View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
use an LED lantern, hanging in about the middle of the fore triangle. The one I use has four NiNH D-cells that last at least 20 hours. Having the anchor light in the fore triangle is a bit better, IMHO, than at the masthead in that it's far easier for the skipper of a boat tooling around or near an anchorage to spot it than it would be were it ~40 feet above the water.
I agree that low lights are a good idea. I do have a mast head Inland Rules/COLREGS legal anchor light. But I have noticed when coming back in the middle of the night that as you point out - one is looking where one is going, not 60 feet in the air for an anchor light. So I also have some very low current draw quite bright LED's (wired to the house bank, not solar) that are about the same height as the top of the rail. They are quite distinctive and help me find my own boat too!

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook