SailNet Community - View Single Post - mast compression on beneteau 381
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Red Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflisajohnson
....Beneteau has recommended placing a 3/16 ss plate between the compression post and the floor. The seller has agreed to pay for the fix. My question is will this hurt the value or seaworthiness of the boat? Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated. jeff
I would be worried about such a new boat showing weakness under the mast step (sounds like a deck stepped mast...). The "over-tightening rigging" sounds like a red herring thrown out to direct your concern away from design/construction, the likely culprits. (In my last purchase the PO of my current boat mentioned a "recently fixed" fuel line leak to mask what should have been evidence of a pinhole in the bottom of the tank, ended up costing me $3-4,000)

That compression occurs is the problem. I don't see how putting a plate under the post necssarily fixes that - I guess it will get the deck back in line, but what does it do to prevent futher compression from occurring? Will there be three of four plates in place when you go to sell the boat...and what will Beneteau have to say then.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook