SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnusailor View Post
I now realize that this idea of sailing has become a personal ambition not equally shared.
I love that quote, and it summarizes my situation as well. My wife is happy to come along and will help willingly, yet it is not her preferred way of spending an afternoon unless she feels we haven't been spending enough time together.

On the other hand, I am a relatively new sailor and I am very comfortable sailing my MacGregor 25 foot sailboat singlehanded -- in fact, I often prefer it since it is my escape. I think a boat of about this size (perhaps 22 - 28 feet-ish) is great because it provides sufficient comfort for non-sailor-types yet isn't so large that it taxes a singlehanded sailor unnecessarily.

It's kind of funny: I was at the marina last year and a family friend looked at my boat and said "I didn't know you could sail a boat that size by yourself." I felt pretty good about that, though I know people sail boats much larger singlehanded.

But hey, I was new at this and I felt pretty good about it!