SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small boat voyaging
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Small boat voyaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Years ago my father brought home an interesting fellow named Tristan Jones. He entertained us with hours of sailing adventure tales. He stayed with us for a week or so. I remember one where he was trapped in the ice for a long time. It's all foggy now. I was in high-school then.
That book was called "ICE!" by Tristan Jones.

I've heard Tristan Jones has been accused of making up many of his tales or at least exaggerating when he tells them. I particularly enjoyed my first book of his "The Improbable Voyage" and I read it with a bit of suspicion.

There were several points where I thought "This has to be exaggeration!" and invariably when I would reach that point, there would be photographic proof on the next page. I think the guy probably did do everything he said he did, based on the photos that prove the rest. ICE! was a heck of a read also. At one point he dug a trench and hauled his boat UP AND OVER an iceberg to get to clear water on the other side. Meanwhile a polar bear was circling.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook