SailNet Community - View Single Post - Digital vs. Analog engine gauges
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Digital vs. Analog engine gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
L124C, what did you end up finding for oil pressure/temp? Did you look into the tachometer? I'm just beginning to think about gauges myself and hope to make up a new engine panel over winter. I'm unimpressed with my stock Yanmar panel which is disintegrating in it's Th year and populated with incandescent lamps and untrustworthy wiring. It's in the cockpit so everything will have to stand up to weather.
Still working on installing the battery monitor. My priority was monitoring the charging system. I'll have to replace the senders to put gauges on the oil and water (tach was never an issue), so I will probably wait until I have an issue with the Yanmar panel. Interesting that your Yanmar panel is falling apart. Mine is almost 30 old and still works great. I liked the gauges discussed earlier in this thread because I could tie them to existing alarms. However, if your alarms are spotty, this obviously isn't an advantage. In any case, I would certainly want alarms with any gauges I purchased. After all the discussion about needle position in this thread, it occurred to me that I couldn't tell you where the normal temp or charge positions are on the gauges in my truck! I would be more diligent with gauges on my boat due to the consequences of not having a motor at sea, but am not exactly a motor head. I still want back up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook