SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

The problem is that brokers will generally not list what is wrong with a boat. Their hope is that you pay asking price and skip the survey. That only happens in fairly-tale land.

When I sold my last two boats, I clearly stated what was wrong with the boats and included that in the asking price. Anything above and beyond those issues could be negotiated after the survey.

Both boats sold for asking price or within 2% and for at least 10% more than asking price of YW boats. Very little haggling, no brokers, happy buyer and seller. Nice and clean.

I bought my last boat from a private owner the same way. He used the same technique of listing what the boat needed and included it in the asking price.

The whole yacht broker business would work much better if they used this method and had buyers/sellers with realistic expectations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook