SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is sleeping OK?
Thread: Is sleeping OK?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
(snippage)
P.S. Jackdale, thanks for the link to the case involving the collision between the sailboat and freighter. I don't think I've ever read a judges opinion on a case before and it was VERY informative to read his rational for his decisions in attributing blame. It was also interesting to hear his deliberations on the issue of requiring the use of RADAR if fitted. I'd heard many people say that you are "required" to use RADAR if you have it aboard but I'd never seen anything real on the issue until now.
What's REALLY interesting is that the Rules DO seem to REQUIRE it's use:
Quote:
Rule 7 - Risk of Collision

(a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists. If there is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to exist.

(b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and operational, including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk of collision and radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects.
USCG Navigation Rules Online

By any reasonable definition, "Operational" meand in normal working order, not whether or not the equipment is turned on. That would be "Operating", not "Operational."

Cpt. Aaron, I would assume the boats you work on have radar, is it routinely operating under way, or only at night or weather dependent? Just curious.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 09-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook