SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To be fair, there are many buyers that use the survey to chew down a reasonable price, despite it only identifying the obvious. I sympathize with sellers that have to deal with that. I've seen it proposed by some on this board. It isn't honest..
This is what I was alluding to as "double dipping"....

"YOU" are the primary value assor in the transaction...you looked the boat over and you made the offer...

If accepted that should be the selling price....

The survey (and the home inspector) are just there to cover all the bases and make sure there were no hidden or undiscovered , major, defeciencies which may affect the value of said item...

If found, that would negate the deal, period...

And then it's time to start a "new" offer on what is now known...seller may want to correct to original offer specs, or take repairs in account when "you" make new offer...

But that is major hidden/unknown issues (deal breakers) not the mundane and obvious and easily recognizeable issues (which were taken into account in the "first" offer....