SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

And then it's time to start a "new" offer on what is now known...seller may want to correct to original offer specs, or take repairs in account when "you" make new offer...

But that is major hidden/unknown issues (deal breakers) not the mundane and obvious and easily recognizeable issues (which were taken into account in the "first" offer....
You can say the deal has started over but, that's just semantics. I think you're actually in agreement with me and other posters. I don't believe anyone is saying you should try to get a lower price because of an out of date fire extinguisher but, if there is damage below water line, substandard wiring, engine has obvious problems.....

When I last sold a house I had the buyer try to wear me down on silly things after the survey. My response was take it or leave it. He took it.

I've walked from a boat after survey. seller was there and argued with the surveyor the entire day. Asking top dollar and obviously not willing to come down on problems the survey found, split rudder, delamination in glass below water line (plywood below water line to boot, old tartan 37). Owner struck me as kind of person to put a penny in a fuse box.

Friend walked after hearing that's my final counter offer on a 47' calibre. Two months later owner was calling him and asking why he hadn't heard anything. I ended up helping him sail it back from Trinidad. Point is these things are always negotiable and one shouldn't let a statement like what started this thread deter you from going ahead.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook