SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steaming light
Thread: Steaming light
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Steaming light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I once asked a friend with a 1600 ton Masters License about what constitutes "under power", and he said that "if the machinery is turning" (i.e., the motor is on, in gear or not) a vessel is "under power". I suppose that wouldn't include a genset, since it can't turn the prop.
Slow .... he may well have said that but I'm still of the opinion from reading the regs that unless the propulsion machinery is engaged the vessel is not under power.

(b) The term “power-driven vessel” means any vessel propelled by machinery.
(c) The term “sailing vessel” means any vessel under sail provided that propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used.

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards.

Ok so I am no maritime lawyer however a vessel with power plant operating though gearbox not engaged surely cannot be said to be being propelled by machinery.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook