SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnusailor View Post
WOW!!! So i gather all i need is 12-40'r with a fixed swinging keel that weighs between 250 and 5000 lbs !
Actually all this has been a great help. I can see the main problem I will have to overcome is that I can't park my future boat at a marina and sail it frequently. . For the time being, I will be toting my boat back and forth between home and water (40+ miles) so trailering is a must. In fact that is where I am struggling. I am going to look at a mutineer tomorrow which is very transportable and I should learn alot sailing her. I passed by a 23' MacGregor the other day because I was convinced (she convinced me) that it would be too much for me to single-handedly set up, launch, sail and take it back home. Any opinions? I am now in my 60s but in reasonably good shape.

I saw a Cortez 16' and would like to look at it but it'll have to wait since it is 275miles from here. I also have found an '83 Renken 18'. Anyone know anything about them.

As it sits right now, I would love for a 19' catalina to fall from the sky (not literally of course) and land in my yard, but I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon.

... anyway, I am getting really anxious to get my hands on a sailboat and start logging some hours

There is a doo-dad you can buy for the trailer that catches the boat and then winches it on. It's made for single handed launches and retrieves. You dock your boat, back the trailer in, then get your boat to the trailer. It does the rest.
I wish I could remember the name of it. It should be easy to google.

I've got a smaller boat I trailer launch single handed. But the trailer is pretty nifty in that if I get the bow anywhere near it, the rollers rotate and will straighten the boat out. I can winch the boat up onto the trailer from the ground if I had to. The boat is only about 800 lbs though.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook