Thread: Anchor light
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
How many of you fly a day anchor signal. In all my years cruising from Duluth MN through the Bahamas I have ssen only two and one of them was mine. Or how about a day steaming signal ?
HA! I fly my anchor ball EVERY time I anchor! I have no idea why, but for some reason I take deep deep joy in being the only one who hoists a black ball in the rigging. It makes me feel oh-so-salty. It is, as Maine_Sail found, quite the conversation starter as well. I feel oh-so-smug as well as I (a young person) explain to the grey-bearded questioner what it is and how it is required etc etc.

As it turns out though, I was not as salty as I thought. I have spent the last 10 years smugly telling people what "that thing" is in the rigging, or answering the question "why are you hoisting a radar reflector" but I was actually doing it all wrong. I routinely used my mainsail halyard to hoist it as it also kept the halyard from banging on the mast at night but I recently found out that a black ball in the forward rigging is the rule. Oops, not as salty as I thought.

I've also caught myself underway, 2 hours into motoring, with the darned thing up as well. On more than one occasion I might add. Now I hoist it in the forward rigging and clip the lower portion to my anchor chain just forward of the windlass. No chance I can get underway with it still clipped there! I have to idiot-proof things on my boat you know....

Mine is an inflatable anchor ball with cord at both ends for a hoisting line and for a downhaul. Since it's inflatable it take up no space and I found it at a swap meet, but I can't say I've actually seen one for sale anywhere here in the USA. One thing you could do is take a small (or large) ball fender, paint it black, and then you'd have a dual purpose item. When you're anchored, your hoisted fender is your day signal, when you're docking it's your fender.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook