SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moment curves
Thread: Moment curves
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Moment curves

Capo:
You have it. Nicely done, concise and to the point. Don't think I'll blog about it. To do it correctly I would need to have a lot of graphic backup showing heeled waterines ands all that stuff takes time I don't have now.

I just read your latest post. Be careful. Do not underestimate the inadequacy of the math approach ( 12m Mariner) and do not underestimate the value of the skilled eye. If faced with a number that seems a bit off to me on a design that looks right to me I will always go with my eye ( after some soul searching). You have to balance what your eye wants with what the numbers tell you. You can teach the numbers part but not so much the eye part.

Hart:
No, no no. That is just stupid. I think we may be looking at a case of a designer who had a lot of time on his hands, and enjoyed and worked hard to generate "stuff" on his drawings. Copious meaninless notes that no builder with a brain would follow and curves that at least to me mean absolutely nothing. I did this when I was a kid. It made the drawings look "official". It does not make for a good design. Sometimes as a kid I'd put Bill Garden's Commodore Way address under my name. It was indulging myself in an escape world that had very little to do with my reality.

Builders must definetely keep copies of the drawings after the build is complete. The boat may come back to the yard for repair or modification and the buiolder will ned the drawings for reference. I am sending out drawings to owners and yards every week. I don't care what they do with them so long as they don't start building new boats from them and that's not likely to happen.

I don't know know this guy at all but I suspect he may have spent too much time fondling the spline weights.

Why am I writing about this at 6:37 am?
Attached Images
File Type: gif ducks.gif (74.8 KB, 9 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 09-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook