SailNet Community - View Single Post - how long does it take you leave?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: how long does it take you leave?

Honestly, I stopped trying to get underway as fast as possible when I realized I was neglecting things, like checking the oil, taking the extra line off the jib, etc. So now I take my sweet ass time and try to make sure I did everything on the list. By myself I'm sure it takes about 30 minutes, but I normally have 10 mooring lines, an extra line on the jib, the mainsail cover, four sailties, engine oil check, seacocks open, get out tiller pilot, blower for 5 minutes, check bilge, engine start, check water flow and warm up, turn on vhf and tiller pilot, get out of the slip, round corner and hoist main, take in fenders, turn corner and pull out jib, set course for 5 degrees, take engine out of gear, and now I'm sailing and the first thing I do is gulp down about a pint of water.
But when I have someone along, its all the above plus however long I have to wait from them to arrive at the pier, walk the longest possible distance on my pier, open the gate for them, back to the boat, safety brief, fitting of life jackets, explain toilet now we are ready to get out of the slip and do the rest of the stuff.
Who sail sailing was fun? Its fun work!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook