SailNet Community - View Single Post - how long does it take you leave?
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 09-27-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32
Re: how long does it take you leave?

Now for something completely diffrent....

I count on at least two hours, both ways.

But let me explain...

1 I have a wife and two young girls.
2 The boat is currently about a 5 hour drive from home.
3 Because of this, we can't really day-sail, so we go for weekend trips or longer.
4 Four people for a weekend, two of them kids have LOTS of stuff to move to the boat and store.
5 The boat is fairly well "put to bed" when we leave as we aren't around a whole lot, so it takes a while to get everything back how it should be. IE some sails and dingy oars and cockpit cushions in the cabin, settee cushions often tipped up to prevent mold under and protect from possible leaks if we're having issues, etc. etc. etc.
6. Always find someone to talk to for a while, and since we aren't around very often, we like to talk to people when we get a chance.

When leaving we have a lot to do, since we've been on board for several days, dishes, trash, cleaning, packing and usually a last minute small project I want to get done before we go.

Oh.... to have the boat only a few minutes away... that would be nice. When it was only an hour and a half drive, if i was solo sailing, I could get on and go within 20 - 30 minutes if I really wanted to.

S/V Lilo
1964 Islander 32
Saint Helens, OR
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome