SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Re: 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?

I too have a 3 blade Campbel Sailor prop, and feel that I should report that I'm considering changing back to a larger bladed prop. I can vouch for all the advantages previously mentioned, and Norm got the size and pitch right the first time.

However, a downside I experience is that even the tiniest bit of seaweed snags on this and kills the thrust. My speed will drop from 5 knots to 2 knots when I pick up some seaweed, and it happens all the time! I've wondered if the reason I have so much trouble with seaweed is that my prop is tucked in behind the deadwood in the rudder aperture of my Alberg 30, so is handicapped from the start.

It doesn't take much seaweed either. It's rare that I can go an hour motoring without having to stop and use reverse to spin some of the seaweed off.

Previous to the CS prop, I had a large bladed Michigan Wheel style prop and it rarely had any trouble with seaweed.

-PK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook