SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alternator Output Wire
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Alternator Output Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
In the DC wiring diagrams, I see the mention of Alternator Output wire, but I cannot find this wire on my engine.
In the Westerbeke wiring schematic the AO goes to the starter, so I assume the alternator output wire is connected to the starter solenoid and the heavy starter wire is the one that I connect to the battery for starting and charging? Or, do I need to have a separate cable from the Alternator to the battery?
That is the path to the batteries on many "factory wired" engines. A dedicated wire direct to the house bank is preferred by many. One benefit is that it eliminates the possibility of frying the diodes by turning the batt switch off with the motor running. On the drawback side a fuse now has to be added close to the battery bank and a "service switch" or other means of easy disconnect should be available so you don't get zapped with the battery switch off and the alt still "powered"..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook