SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
So this happened to you? Did it completely kill the engine?
It's not likely that filling (and running) a diesel with gasoline would be fatal. I used to work for a private ambulance company and all our ambulances were diesel and most of our crews were inexperienced (high turnover) and sleep deprived because of our 24 hr shifts.

Many a diesel rig was fueled with diesel and driven away. Apparently it makes sounds that aren't so good.... but it never destroyed one that I know of.

The procedure was for the company's mechanic to invent new names for you and try them out to your face. He then would drain the fuel system and pull the head of the engine. Apparently the gasoline would all evaporate and he could just put the head back on, refill the system and carry on. He always said that putting diesel in a gas engine was worse because it wouldn't evaporate. This was also the reason, he said, that at the pump the diesel nozzle won't fit into a gas engine's fill port but a gas nozzle will fit into a diesel fill port.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook