SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

Catboatfan is on a distinguished road
Re: 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?

It's been a long time since I sailed in Maine-unfortunately-so I can't remember what kind of seaweed you encounter up there. Here on the outer Cape, we have quite a bit of a type of seaweed which looks like big clumps of sawgrass floating just below the surface; only once have I had a problem with it. Not long after I first installed the new prop, I was running from the mooring to the town dock and suddenly all hell broke loose; all kinds of vibration and noise, and the boat slowed down to a crawl. Of course the first thing I thought of was the prop was coming off, the shaft was bent, etc. etc. I went to neutral and looked over the transom, and saw a huge bunch of this weed trailing from the screw. I reversed a couple of times and it came off. Knock on wood, hasn't happened again. I can't say that this wheel is more susceptible to fouling than what I had before-the only thing that ever fouled my 2-blade was a length of 5/8" nylon line, leading to my first working experience with a scuba tank! I should note that my prop is also in an aperture, cut into the deadwood ahead of my barn door-style rudder.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook