SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Re: How to destroy a diesel in one easy step...

Oil pressure failure is probably the single most destructive event.
Install an audible alarm - you can easily build one yourself from an old automobile relay and automobile horn. Last one cost be about $6 in total, in 1995, and it is still workingfine.

Overheating is next, I suppose. Keep an eye on your motor coolant temperature.

On the point of timing belts. Do not install a marine diesel with an OHC engine. Simply avoid the type. Install an OHV motor (pushrods). Marine diesels do not rev high enough to justify an OHC motor. Avoid. Leave the type for motorcycles, or performance automobiles.

Keep the oil clean.

Be careful with prolonged cranking.

I made a decision a long time ago to remove the engine side covers so I could keep an eye on what was happening in there constantly. I have the luxury of instant access to the motor and I can check the vital signs before they get out of hand. You would be surprised what a wee bit of constant TLC can do.... hand on gearbox to check temperature, constant checking of engine mounts, hand on cylinder heads, on the exhaust elbow, hand on the electrical fuel pump to check it is working, and a big oil pressure gauge staring me in the face. I can even tell when I need an oil change - it drops below 30 psi on a long run.

Also, with the engine exposed perhaps I can get an earlier warning of a fire in there? Perhaps.

Rockter.

Last edited by Rockter; 09-28-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook