SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruise to Honduras and LT Stay
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

lobosolo98 is on a distinguished road
Cruise to Honduras and LT Stay

Friend of mine has been investing in Roatan Honduras. He bought a time share condo, then a second share. Now he is buying a bar. Just last night he called and asked me to sail down and run his bar as an investor. I've worked in the bar business, I lived in Costa Rica for 5 years, and I speak Spanish. He thinks I can double as a day charter captain on my boat.

Several questions:

Does anyone have information on how long my boat can stay in Honduras, whether a US boat can charter there, and/or information on making it legal - then one day returning to the US. My Costa Rica experience tells me that most things are possible if I use US $ to hire locals to crew.

From New Orleans, Cancun is almost due South. Has anyone made the passage South in the Spring? And would due South be the best route.

What about marinas and services. Surely I can get a bottom job in Honduras (I'll need one next year).

Has anyone applied for a permanent residency in Honduras or know about the regulations for staying. I feel sure that I am only counting the bar money and keeping the books (again hiring local for the beer slinging, cooking a cleaning) that I bar will not be a issue.

I read that a visa is not required but you have to leave the country every month. Is that two another country? Or just to international waters?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook