SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Seller agreed to offer, but set a clause,"no discounts after survey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We're pulling for you. It's best that you are comfortable, but im afraid this was a shallow victory. Nothing has changed. The seller will still not be required to accept any post survey adjustments and their frame of mind to do so has already been telegraphed.
Bingo!! He may have removed the "clause" to make you "feel better" moving forward but he may still choose to reject any nickel and dime BS after the survey and is under no obligation to re-negotiate a lower price deficiencies or not.

Clause or no clause the owner has his/her bottom line and I suspect the OP may have hit it already.

You can always try and re-negotiate but the owner may still tell you to pound sand, clause or no clause.. I've told buyers to pound sand more than once.. Each time the buyers came back to the "agreed price" because the nickel and dime stuff was all BS stuff that had been noted up front before they even made the offer. The surveys found nothing not already disclosed to them yet it did not stop them from trying to use it as a renegotiation tool, which it is not intended to be..

My answer is always simple; "Seller is now offering XXX" and I just respond... "No".....

If you are buying a boat and can't do a competent assessment on your own then you need to accept that 2k or more is going to be eaten up in the "looking process" by way of surveys.

I conduct all my own pre-survey, surveys but still have to pay for a NAMS or SAMS survey to acquire insurance. I have yet to have any surveyor catch all the items I have or hit me with any surprises. I know not all can do this but you can certainly try and educate yourself enough so that there are no "big" surprises.

This is often a six figure venture yet buyers often spend more time educating themselves on a phone, computer, television or used car purchase than they do on a significantly more expensive boat purchase, sad really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-28-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook