SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

AdrenalineJunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

While it is always potentially dangerous or impolite to make comments about a particular brand of boat, just be sure to thoroughly check out the reputation of Bayliner especially regarding construction and resale value. Living on any boat can be either inexpensive and a lot of fun or the complete opposite. If I were planning to live on an older Bayliner on a budget, I would be prepared to give it away when I was done living on it and amortize that expense (loss of acquisition funds) against the cost of an apartment, even after spending time and money on upgrades but the same can be said for many older boats. You will definitely have far more room per linear foot on a powerboat than a sailboat, but if a sailboat has a decent propulsion system it will be far less costly to motor around in and you would have the opportunity to learn about sailing as well. Consider that you can find a 1960's Pearson Triton 28 in decent shape with lots of upgrades and maybe even a diesel for $5 or 6K, a boat that someone will always be interested in trying to fix up no matter what shape it is in. Your friends would have no idea it is 45 years old. Good luck trying to find a decent 25 foot diesel powerboat for that cost! Also remember that even a tippy little hard dink will cost $400 and another $100 for oars, $200 for a couple of decent batteries, a little money for a DIY composting toilet, $500 for a simple solar setup and there are a few other start up costs to prepare for. It's going to be $65 for a drypack bookbag to carry your computer when on the dink in case you tip it over! This stuff adds up but OTOH you can be completely independent and off the grid for the price of a very cheap 150,000 mile used car, which is a good feeling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook