SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Re: 3-blade fixed prop recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catboatfan View Post
It's been a long time since I sailed in Maine-unfortunately-so I can't remember what kind of seaweed you encounter up there. Here on the outer Cape, we have quite a bit of a type of seaweed which looks like big clumps of sawgrass floating just below the surface; only once have I had a problem with it. Not long after I first installed the new prop, I was running from the mooring to the town dock and suddenly all hell broke loose; all kinds of vibration and noise, and the boat slowed down to a crawl. Of course the first thing I thought of was the prop was coming off, the shaft was bent, etc. etc.
This is exactly what I experience, except it happens all the time! I often end up getting in the dinghy at the end of the day to pull seaweed from the prop.

I wonder why my setup is such a seaweed magnet?

Could it be the gap between the and of the bearing and the start of the prop?? Perhaps I should try a shaft zinc in front of the prop to take up the space. ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook