SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ventura West Marina (Ventura, CA)

7K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  SlowButSteady 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone had any recent experience (within the last year or so) with Ventura West Marina?

Thank you

#3 ·
We will be moving our boat there from the Great Lakes and living aboard in Phase II. Just wondering if it is a safe area, (hopefully quiet during the week!), and the reputation of the marina among folks with a slip there.

Thanks very much!

#5 ·
I've been there since May, and I'm very happy with the marina. When I bought my boat, it was in Phase II, on E dock, but the marina said there was a wait list to get into Phase II, and I had to move it to Phase I. Have you been on a wait list?

Anyway, Phase II is on the West side of the harbor, with just a strand about a quarter mile wide between it and the Ocean, and Phase I is on the East side. But Ventura Harbor is relatively small, and Phase I is only a couple of minutes further from the entrance channel. Frankly, I like Phase I better - the (floating) docks are concrete topped, the Rest Room/Showers have been recently renovated, all new fixtures, floor, wall tile, etc. They look great, and are kept very clean by the staff. The management office is located at Phase I, so if I need to see them it's a two minute walk from the boat. In the four months I've been there, the management has been commendable. One day I inadvertently hit the flasher button in my truck, and didn't notice. One of the marina workers noticed, and the management called me to let me know. :)

There are several really good restaurants around the harbor, a boat yard with a great rep, several diving services, etc. Also several well maintained self-serve pump out staions, very handy.

I know several of my dockmates (live aboards) have been there for many years, and if they were'nt happy, they'd move.

#7 ·
The marina is very safe and quiet, especially during the week. The live-aboard rate there is 50% and very much like a retirement community. I haven't heard of any theft or crime of any sort here, I'm sure due to several factors: the average age of the occupants, the fact that you have to be going there to get there, gated parking after hours, secure docks and security patrols etc etc.

Phase 2 is the closest marina to the harbor entrance, <than 5 minutes to open water, it's about 150 yards from one of the best beaches in the area, literally at the patio to the Channel Islands Visitor Center and Museum, close to shops and cafes so overall a pretty good marina.

What size boat do you have and when are you due to arrive?

#8 ·
One of the reasons we went with Ventura was the fantastic reputation of the yard there. :)

We were able to confirm a slip last week, and were pleasantly surprised to find that the wait list (at the time) was only a month or so, which worked out well for our timing.

We have a Pacific Seacraft 37 and will be arriving early November (although that may get pushed back a few weeks depending on work we have going on at our current yard)

Thanks everyone for the responses and info!

#11 ·
If all you're interested in is being a "liveaboard" then this place is for you. If you plan on using your boat, find another marina. I'm moving out after being here a year....I was just told on Sunday that there were complaints because I was warming my engine up to go fishing at 4:30 am. As far as I know a marina is primarily for the use of anyone who meets the financial requirements and wants to enjoy their boat. This place, as it turns out, is nothing more than a glorified day care center for the "cling-ons" and marginal characters found in harbors the world over. Most liveaboard individuals that I know, usually move into a harbor for a short stay before moving on to another destination fulfilling their cruising lifestyle. Evidently at Ventura west Marina, this is the end game for many and the attitude of management reflects it. The manager actually asked me how long I needed to warm the engine up. When I replied that it took on the average 15 mins to warm up the motor and load my gear, before leaving, he actually asked me if I could shorten that time frame up......I was incensed....this is not a working marina, it's a deposit area for those who are no more interested in actually using their boats than the man in the moon. In all the time I've been on the ocean, and in many different harbors all over, I have never witnessed this kind of mindset. It's absolutely beyond belief. So, if you're serious about boating, find another spot...right now there are plenty available...this place is a very bad joke.............

#12 · (Edited)
It's hard to believe that your engine isn't warm enough after five minutes to start putting out of the harbor. It sounds like you have an established "routine", and you just won't change, no matter how much it inconveniences others. Instead of bitching and moaning about people trying to sleep during the wee hours of the morning, why not come to the realization that the world doesn't revolve around you and just cut the warm-up time to the minimum necessary?

#13 ·
1st post, owns a power boat, probably making the rounds of ANY and ALL forums to complain about his treatment at a marina...........

Anyway, not sure one needs 15 min, In most cases, that is harder on a motor than slowly moving down the road, water etc.

Marty

#14 ·
1st post, owns a power boat, probably making the rounds of ANY and ALL forums to complain about his treatment at a marina...........
Yep, that's pretty much what I thought too. I probably shouldn't feed the trolls, but I only posted a reply on the off chance that he'll check back some time in the future.

Something he doesn't mention is that Ventura Harbor has a more commercial area where he could probably idle/foul his motor(s) to his heart's content. But he's probably too cheap to keep his boat there.

#16 ·
I am only guessing, but judging from the comments, everyone of them involves someone on a sailboat. Enough said there, since the snobbishness associated with "sailors" is and unfortunate part of the whole scene, and I get it. It's petty and insignificant, but still there, usually represented by the type of people I mentioned earlier, namely want-to-be sailors, and @#$%$@#$ artists. Secondly, this is the only forum I've posted on, if you don't believe me go check all the rest you probably lurk around and see for yourself. And the "stinky smell" comment pretty much sums up my point, you people just don't understand the function of a harbor. Basically it is like a parking lot. You pay for the privilege, park your boat, and are allowed to come and go as you please. The fifteen minutes I mentioned does include the time it takes me to load my gear, groceries etc., and shouldn't be an issue anyway. If you choose to live in a harbor, then it stands to reason that you are accepting all things that are associated with it, and whether you like it or not, it may involve some smells and noises you don't like. My advice to you is to either accept the harbor and all it's elements , or find somewhere else to park your boat. VWM never stated that their marina was for sailboats only, and in fact kept telling me they wanted people to use their boats, unfortunately this was supposed to fall under some kind of implied code of liveaboard nonsense I've never witnessed anywhere else. I'm moving, so it's no longer and issue here, but my feelings for VWM are still the same. It's a weird place with petty people running it, and had I known initially this was the case, I would have never considered it as a place where I can park my boat and use it as I see fit. All the rest of your comments are about what I would expect from people of your ilk, luckily I have run across some serious sailors both at the islands and elsewhere who truly are good seamen, and this type of conversation would never even be broached by them. They understand the ocean and all aspects of it's use by all types of people, and this sense of exclusive privilege would never even occur to them. Adios.

#18 ·
Hmmm....

Four things that seem to be beyond foulzone's comprehension:

A) this is SAILNET, a forum for sailors (not ******** motor boaters);

2) the world still doesn't revolve around him and his ******** boat;

III) idling a motor for fifteen minutes probably does more harm than good;

four) folks around here aren't intimidated by trash-talking trolls.

#19 ·
BTW, my guess is that the "15 minutes" foulbreath is copping to is actually closer to half an hour, maybe more. Not that he'll admit it or anything.

#21 ·
Ya think?

#22 ·
The thread is a bit old(9-28-12) however the boat yard there is pretty good. They prepared Intreptid(Islander 36)for her circumnavigation. Les the Yanmar mechanic is top- notch old school. As far as slip access there are plenty, the recession has a way of doing that. Maybe down in Orange co. the recession has not been so tough, but up here slips are running about 12.00-14.00 a foot and about 70% full(just guessing from what open slips I see) Down in Channel Island Harbor I would guess it's more like 60%. So slips are not the issue. We sail up for lunch in Ventura Harbor and the vibe is great, I do not know of a live aboard problem from what I know/hear. The weather is great(more wind than down south) cruising Santa Cruz Island and the Santa Barbara Channel are great. We can sail almost all year round give or take a gale moving through in the Winter and Spring. Whale watching is also nearly a year round Greys in the spring Blues in the late Summer. Fishing is good too.

Brad
Lancer 36

#23 ·
VWM has a 50% liveaboard rate meaning if Foulzone isn't living aboard, both of his neighbors are. Even so, I'm inclined to believe there's more to the story than just warming up engines, even for 15 min.

I'm slipped 3 boats from the marina manager, have departed and returned many times in the wee hours and have never had a complaint.

Foulzone, it doesn't sound like your being evicted, they just asked you to be a little more considerate so grow some thicker skin and HTFU. It's just boat parking after all.

#25 ·
Umm Zone, nobady has their panties wadded up as I don't think anybody really cares all that much. I well say though, just by your 3 post here, your attitude is why the sterotyping of power boater lives on, well done. I'm sure your dock neigbhors are happy to see you go.

Oh btw, welcome to Sailnet, "the world largset sailing forum" for people that sail...........

Reactions: carl762
#26 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...........too damned funny, every one of you "sailors" ,and I use that term loosely, have got your panties wadded up.... about as I expected.........pathetic....HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Where did you go to school to study how to be a douchbag? I'd say you graduated at the top of your class!! I want to go there. ;)

#27 ·
OK, folks. It's time to stop feeding the troll. Just ignore him and he'll crawl back under his rock, or into his mommy's basement, as the case may be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.