SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Juan 28 - Sailing Qualities?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012

akwilco is on a distinguished road
San Juan 28 - Sailing Qualities?

I'm considering purchase of a San Juan 28 in the Puget Sound area. I've looked her over at the dock while traveling through the area, but was unable to arrange a test sail during the limited time I was down there (I live in Alaska, so it's an expensive round trip flight, weather/schedules precluded sailing). At the dock she looked well kept up. A marine surveyor has been contacted to do a survey. Before I go too far down this path, a couple questions:
- How important is the test sail? Is not being able to do one a deal-breaker?
- If I don't have an opportunity to do a test sail, what are other people's sailing experiences with these boats? Good/bad experiences welcome. Specifically, given the type of sailing I plan on doing, light-air capability, ability to work to windward, how stiff is she, motion in waves, weather helm/balance, etc.
She would be sailed on the inside passage, mostly daytrips, single or double-handed most of the time, occasional weekends. Experience tells me that most sails will end tacking several miles up a channel to get to the harbor. Winds around here tend be quite variable, but generally light. Tides can be squirrelly, as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook