SailNet Community - View Single Post - San Juan 28 - Sailing Qualities?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-28-2012 Thread Starter
San Juan 28 - Sailing Qualities?

I'm considering purchase of a San Juan 28 in the Puget Sound area. I've looked her over at the dock while traveling through the area, but was unable to arrange a test sail during the limited time I was down there (I live in Alaska, so it's an expensive round trip flight, weather/schedules precluded sailing). At the dock she looked well kept up. A marine surveyor has been contacted to do a survey. Before I go too far down this path, a couple questions:
- How important is the test sail? Is not being able to do one a deal-breaker?
- If I don't have an opportunity to do a test sail, what are other people's sailing experiences with these boats? Good/bad experiences welcome. Specifically, given the type of sailing I plan on doing, light-air capability, ability to work to windward, how stiff is she, motion in waves, weather helm/balance, etc.
She would be sailed on the inside passage, mostly daytrips, single or double-handed most of the time, occasional weekends. Experience tells me that most sails will end tacking several miles up a channel to get to the harbor. Winds around here tend be quite variable, but generally light. Tides can be squirrelly, as well.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome