SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012

weathertrack is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Glad to hear that you like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Finally, how do I get a grib file over the SSB into your app with only an Ipad? If you made that a one cable, one button operation, you would retire quickly.
Unfortunately the iPad does not talk to the SSB, so that a one cable would not work. There is always a device needed in between. However, you could use your own board wifi and just download the files from your computer on your iPad. And there is an option for a wifi pactor modem, but there is no radio mail package for the iPad to communicate.

Quote:
It would be more useful if it had more granular wind data around the coast. Your product is better for big picture planning, but when I want to know where the wind will be in the Bay or how far offshore I need to get to find 15 knots to make progress, I go to sailflow.com. Given that coastal cruisers are the largest population, I would think your app would be much more popular and useful with more granular coastal wind data.
You are absolutely right and we would like to offer granular coastal wind data in a heartbeat. However, would you be willing to pay for this? Here is the problem. These special data are not given for free by the data provider - unlike NOAA. It seems any way that many iPhone/iPad users show the attitude to expect every app for free or at least for a very low budget price in the app store. We doubt that people are willing to pay for additional high quality data, what do you think?

If you would subscribe for instance to sailwx. com then you could also get high resolution data and regional models and you would be able to view the forecasts in WeatherTrack.

Quote:
Another for the suggestion box would be to have a drop down box, so I can pick a time slot, rather than have to scroll through them all to get where I'm interested in the series.
What do you mean by "to scroll through them all" - are you talking about the GRIB files? You do not need to scroll through them all. Just tap on the date to get a selection of all forecasts and simply choose the one your are interested in.

Or are you talking about the Weather Online section? The good news is we are currently exactly changing this design. You can check it right now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook