SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathertrack View Post
.....there is an option for a wifi pactor modem, but there is no radio mail package for the iPad to communicate.
I have a pacor modem, but I doubt it is wifi capable. I will have to research. I do not have a wifi network aboard at all. If I needed to upgrade the pacor and it would communicate directly with the ipad, that would be great.

Quote:
You are absolutely right and we would like to offer granular coastal wind data in a heartbeat. However, would you be willing to pay for this? Here is the problem. These special data are not given for free by the data provider - unlike NOAA. It seems any way that many iPhone/iPad users show the attitude to expect every app for free or at least for a very low budget price in the app store. We doubt that people are willing to pay for additional high quality data, what do you think?
Didn't I pay something like $10 for your app? I don't get your point. I get sailflow.com for free.

Quote:
What do you mean by "to scroll through them all" - are you talking about the GRIB files? You do not need to scroll through them all. Just tap on the date to get a selection of all forecasts and simply choose the one your are interested in.
Once you open a file and, for example, enter the Wind section, you have to click the right or left carrot to move between times. I know it can be animated, but I often want to go straight to tomorrow morning, or often I want to jump ahead to see the overnight wind to pick an anchorage to sail to.

If I'm not mistaken (I'm not on the ipad right now), when you leave off on a particular time in one section and move to another, say from wind to waves, it opens on the time to last viewed, ie Wed 1800. Typically, I want to start from the beginning and I have to scroll back. A drop down box with all the days and times in each Grib would be great.

I would also love to see an app that could creatively superimpose wind and waves, without over cluttering the image. If you got current into it too, that's another retirement idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook