SailNet Community - View Single Post - Puget Sound vs Lake Washington
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012

Lukewarm is on a distinguished road
Re: Puget Sound vs Lake Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Motoring is probably in all reality, the ONLY way to go thru. One could sail the northern end of lk union, but if the goal is to go ALL the way thru, most will motor from one end to the other. Then if you are needing to open bridges, one finds that going in an informal group will occur many time. I only have to open for Freemont. But when I go thru the locks with a few others, I find I have to wait at freemont for the ones behind me to catch up. Same with going towards the locks. If I go under montlake ad university in the middle of them opening, I wait at freemont until they catch up.

Marty
Thanks Marty. Hope you don't mind these additional questions?

For going through those bridges like montlake and university that you can go under without opening but just need to pass under the middle of the arch, how do you avoid going against similar boats from the opposite direction (maybe another sailboat or a big ship) who also have similar requirements to take the middle lane specially in a narrow channel like the Montlake cut?

Is there a protocol on who should go first while the other side waits?

If I am already commited to passing through to take the middle lane, can I expect the opposite boat to give way till I clear the bridge specially if it's one of the big cruise ships on the opposite side?

I see traffic lights that are green facing both directions on the side of the Montlake cut while red lights in the middle of the bridge again both directions. I'm guessing The red lights are only for boats requiring the bridge to open so the green means boats are good to go simultaneously in both directions if they dont need an opening?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook